Our client for this Sr Director of Finance and Administration opportunity is the leading global brand for shisha/hookah consumables, is expanding its team to support and accelerate the growth of the rapidly expanding community of hookah enthusiasts across the US, building upon the success of its market leading (and market defining!) brand. In addition to being the leading global manufacturer of shisha and hookah consumables, our client, through its new ventures arm, is developing a portfolio of disruptive new technologies and devices enabling the consumption of tobacco, herbs at low temperatures resulting in a superior experience and enjoyment for the consumer. They are building a world class organization to support their operation and brands in the US and the launch of new ventures internationally, and are looking for a Director of Finance and Administration to further develop their team and capabilities, ensuring they keep pace with their ambitions. The role is critical to enabling their future growth ensuring the talent, systems, processes, controls, and analytic horsepower is in place required to support and deliver their strategy and achieve their bold objectives. The successful candidate will have managed finance for fast growing organization(s), overseen market expansion, and is comfortable operating within fast paced environment. This position will be based in California at either their corporate office in Los Angeles or their New Ventures office in San Jose and will dual report directly to the heads of their US operation and New Ventures. Experience (and a willingness) to work cross-functionally and across time zones (US, London, Dubai) is a pre-requisite for the role.
As a true business partner to the Managing Director, the Sr Director of Finance and Administration will develop and assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and the Company’s long-term strategy, as well as develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the heads of US and New Ventures to make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations. Director of Finance and Administration will be instrumental in supporting business transformation and coordination with Regional Head Office in London and Group Head Office in Dubai.
- Develop and lead financial strategy, goals and objectives for fast growing consumer products company. Build financial department, systems, software and reporting.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management
- Participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operational execution
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; Monthly profit and loss forecast by division (vs. budget); Weekly cash flow forecast
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives and meeting agendas, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors)
- Complete analysis of financial results; Develop recommendations (strategic and tactical). Develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., new product launches, promotional programs, etc.)
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed. Manage cash flow providing short and long-term cash flow planning.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team
- Represent the Company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, auditors, public officials, etc.
- Build and oversee accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise company
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions
- Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end, and year-end financial statements and submit numbers to the Group for consolidation
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable issues
- Develop and manage accounting staff
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits
- Oversee weekly cash management; Approve weekly payables; Execute check signing
- Assist Group Commercial Finance in following up on pricing, COGS and MI
- Oversee basic of HR and coordinate with Regional and Group HR teams and external service providers
- Oversee Demand Planning, IT and systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required; MBA preferred
- CPA is a must
- 10+ years of Finance and Accounting experience in a manufacturing and/or sales environment. Must have a strong cost accounting background.
- Very strong commercial acumen gained through various high-profile roles
- Tobacco, Alcoholic, food or consumer products industry preferred. Previous experience in regulated market desired.
- Experience supporting a sales and marketing organization as well as e-commerce is preferred
- Subject matter expertise and experienced in the practical application of cost accounting
- Mergers and Acquisitions experience with emphasis on deal modeling is a plus
- 5+ years’ experience as a consumer products controller or similar role
- 5+ years of experience in both FP&A and Reporting roles at a Corporate/Division. Experience in both traditional as well as entrepreneurial companies is a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience all Microsoft Products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), preferred experience with Microsoft Navision/Dynamics. Previous work with ERP/Planning Systems.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills
- Extremely well organized, data driven and comfort managing multiple projects/ stakeholders
- Appreciated previous experience: Bacardi, Diageo, Moet Hennessy, Pernod Ricard, Medmen, Cura CS, Kush Bottles, Mammoth Distribution, RJ Reynolds, Imperial Tobacco, Philip Morris International, British American Tobacco.
- Appreciated previous titles: Director of Finance, VP of Finance, CFO, Chief Financial Officer