Our client is a packaging & contract manufacturing company with operations in Union NJ and an office in NYC.
The Director of Engineering, will help to ensure timely and cost-effective launches and business activities that align with our standards and requirements from the client while meeting the necessary aesthetic and quality. The Director of Engineering will take the lead in identifying new and improved methodologies, packaging components, innovation and processes resulting in effective cost-reduction and harmonizing programs for new and/or existing products.
- Ensure the development and qualification of a wide range of primary and secondary packaging solutions are met for the needs for customer aesthetics, consumer use, manufacturing capability, quality, and cost
- Spearhead the initiation, development, validation, and implementation of new and improved packages and processes including prototype development, engineering specifications, mold qualification, functionality, and quality testing
- Mentor and lead a team of engineering professionals in a wide array of projects. Establishing work plan and staffing for each phase of project, and arranges for recruitment or assignment of project staff
- Confers with project staff to outline work plan and to assign duties, responsibilities and scope of authority
- Interface daily with sales team to help develop and drive profitable projects and programs
- Lead packaging innovation efforts by exploring new materials and technology, working cross- functionally with Brand Marketing, Product Development, Industrial Design, and Operations
- Develop and maintain partnerships with third party vendors and fillers
- Collaborate with Customer and Design teams on establishing feasibility for new packaging initiatives/concepts.
- Support Operations cost savings and efficiency initiatives, and quality investigations towards continuous improvement
- Participate in project planning, manage the flow of information, follow up and communicate project milestones and associated risks
- Create package component specifications, pre Bills of Materials and Fill & Assembly specifications.
- Oversee package testing procedures and standards to support the effective design, validation, and implementation of new packages and packaging technology
- Coordinate line trials to ensure package performance for manufacturing.
- Attend component and manufacturing startups as needed to ensure proper execution of design & function.
- Validate artwork based on mandatory technical elements and subsequently validate proof per released artwork.
- Research new or emerging packaging trends and technologies
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Qualifications / Education and/or Experience:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- BS/BA degree in Industrial Engineering or Package Engineering/Technology/Science or related engineering field
- Expertise in Solidworks & CAD
- At least 10 years relevant experience in packaging required; previous experience in managing effective teams
- Demonstrated broad and in-depth knowledge of packaging materials and processes
- Demonstrated success of excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with internal partners and external vendors
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined individual, able to work in relative autonomy
- Proficient PC skills – MS Office software and capable of building presentations on Excel and/or PowerPoint.
- Able to travel when required by strategic programs