Our client for this Director of Quality position is an international leading group in wine & spirits. The group has a large wine bottling operation in the Stockton / Lodi, CA area.
Responsible for providing superior leadership and expertise to the Quality team at the Winery. Responsible for the direction of quality control and quality assurance activities from raw materials to finished products in accordance with corporate standards. Work closely with Procurement, Production Management, Distribution, Customer Service, and the larger Quality team to achieve business objectives. Maintain proactive focus on identification and mitigation of risks and weaknesses to prevent quality compromises.
We are looking for a Quality executive ideally with a background in Food and Beverage if not directly in Wine & Spirits. Additionally, the right candidate will really need to be a strong manager and a transformational leader with expertise in “sanitation” and “food safety”.
- Develop and execute an innovative departmental budgets that will strategically leverage diverse resources, prioritize and support real time operation and long term productivity, quality and efficiency goals.
- Build strategic working relationships with peers in achieving and maintaining the accuracy and consistent flow of information, execution of procedures, and performance of the overall Quality Operations.
- Interact with vendors to ensure incoming quality of materials and components and lead investigations to resolve related issues.
- Lead and develop the Quality team, provide focus as required, and ensure accountability for job responsibilities.
- Ensure adherence to required quality standards for each wine, an orderly flow of work, and the integrity of the final product.
- Develop a system and process for tracking quality issues and implement corrective and preventive actions in a coordinated and consistent manner.
- Identify and mitigate quality risks proactively through focused audits, FMEA’s and continuous improvement projects.
- Work closely with Bottling, Winemaking, Cellar, Distribution, Customer Service and legal partners to resolve quality issues in a timely and coordinated manner.
- Develop and implement procedures to support the Quality Management System.
- Develop strategies to support new product development initiatives from a quality perspective that align with the business strategy.
- Ensure lab management practices including, but not limited to, chain of custody, lot control, method validation and verification, QC charting, microbiology evaluations, documentation, record keeping, and error analysis are current and rigorously applied to daily activities.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific discipline, advanced degree preferable
- Must have at least 10 years of experience in Quality, Compliance or a related field
- Prior quality laboratory experience required
- Project management experience required
- Must have good computer skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills required
- Must have the ability to influence and lead teams
- Must have strong business acumen
- Must have a strong ability to analyze processes with the goal of improving quality.
- Must have a high level of productivity, ability to take tasks to completion and meet deadlines under pressure coupled with a focus on quality.
- Experience with production of food ingredients required
- Experience managing teams at multiple locations preferred
- Previous appreciated experience: Diageo, Pernod Ricard, Moet Hennessy, Remy Cointreau, Bacardi, E&J Gallo, Constellation Brands, Trinchero Family Estates, Treasury Wine Estate, The Wine Group, Bronco Wine Company, Accolade Wines. But also: Coca Cola, PepsiCo, Gatorade, Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, Monster Energy Drink…