Our client for this General Manager position of fine wine is an international leading group in wine & spirits. The group is structuring a new fine wine division which needs a few new Division General Managers! This position is more specifically for a very strong fine wine brand ($40-$75), with a non-traditional and even rebel positioning. The brand, even though well established, has a lot more opportunities for growth through innovation, partnerships, DTC, international etc…
Refine the vision and strategy for building and growing the business and to establish category leading capabilities in brand building, general and brand management and omni-channel commercial capabilities across DTC e-commerce, DTC hospitality, 3-tier e-commerce and wholesale sales. Collaborate with cross functional areas including: winemaking, innovation/growth, operations, corporate strategy and corporate communications.
We need a true brand builder who knows how to sell! We are looking for an ambitious and high potential corporate executive who knows how to manage by influence in a matrix organization with some direct and many dotted line reports. The right candidate doesn’t have to come from wine & spirits. A previous VP Sales or VP Marketing with a strong premium brand can work too, as long as there is a strong personal interest in the fine wine category.
- Accountability for the Brand P&L from top to bottom line
- Develop and implement the annual and long-range brand strategy and marketing plan to raise consumer awareness, acquisition, retention, and net promoter scores on each of the brands
- Collaborate with agency contacts, PR, DTC team, field marketing, trade marketing, hospitality, and sales
- Work with the consumer insights team to identify both our core luxury consumer and target luxury growth consumer for each of the brands
- Work with Revenue management and sales to optimize pricing strategy and brand positioning
- Develop insights based strategic innovation plans
- Ensure all aspects of grape supply, procurement, wine style, packaging, pricing, placement and promotion are aligned with the brand strategy
- Develop and sustain strong working relationship with International teams
- Work closely with the VP of Hospitality to ensure the consumer experience at the winery is best in class in the valley
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Beverage alcohol industry experience preferred, but not required
- Solid understanding of the three-tier distribution system preferred, but not required
- Strong commercial and/or brand building acumen in the luxury goods space
- Experience in developing and/or executing brand strategy, preferably in the luxury CPG space
- Ability to pioneer new ideas, solve problems, and influence others while being open to collaboration.
- Experience in developing and encouraging creative ideas that challenge common thinking, while being open and agile to adapt, change, and try new things
- Strong track record of developing effective traditional / digital marketing campaigns
- Experience with planning, development and commercialization of new products and line extensions
- Experience optimally positioning a brand across multiple channels: DTC, Wholesale and International
- Proven desire and ability to think strategically and creatively, coupled with financial acumen and strong analytical / problem-solving skills and bottom line P&L management.
- Excellent communication skills; articulate, influential and strong public speaking and writing skills, effective interpersonal skills.
- Proven track record in building, leading and developing diverse, high performing teams.
- Extensive experience collaborating with external partners (e.g. advertising, design, digital, trade marketing agencies).
- Proficient PC skills (Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), syndicated database experience (IRI or Nielsen), custom database experience
- Previous appreciated experience: Diageo, Pernod Ricard, Moet Hennessy, Remy Cointreau, Bacardi, E&J Gallo, Constellation Brands, Trinchero Family Estates, Treasury Wine Estate, The Wine Group, Bronco Wine Company, Accolade Wines. But also: Luxury Goods, fashion, beauty, watches & Jewelry, luxury cars, Estee Lauder, L’Oreal, LVMH, Kering, Richemont, Swatch Group…
- Previous appreciated titles: CEO / Chief Executive Officer, CMO Chief Marketing Officer, General Manager, VP Sales, VP Marketing