Our client specializes in research and development of skin care formulations. They specialize in deploying new technologies that enhance the efficacy of skin care products while striving to use natural and organic ingredients.
The main expectation from the holder of this position is to lead the development of personalized skin care products. The candidate should have a deep understanding of the effect of various active ingredients in the market today and how they work on individual skin types and conditions. The scientist will formulate a model of efficacy and skin side effect dependencies on specific type of active ingredients and skin type and condition. Based on this understanding, the candidate should be able to formulate high efficacy and stable formulations with a restricted set of natural, hypoallergenic ingredients, while meeting specific sensory properties in terms of texture, viscosity, color, odor, appearance, feel during and after application. This position is responsible for the development of the final formulation and manages all phases of the development, from pre-formulation to process development to scale-up and support for transfer to manufacturing group.
The formulation scientist should have a thorough understanding of the multitude of available active ingredients to develop new formulations that improve skin hydration, wrinkles and fine lines reduction, skin elasticity, skin smoothness, age spots reduction, and other skin concerns.
- Lead the development of personalized cosmetics formulation methodology
- Manage other junior and senior formulation scientists
- Deep understanding of benefits and drawbacks of broad range of active ingredients employed in skincare formulations
- Stay up-to-date on latest skincare active and functional ingredients and attend conference and exhibitions
- Develop model for active ingredient concentrations that balance efficacy and skin side effects
- Create new formulations that meet product development requests for product performance, application feel, appearance, texture, color, and odor
- Translation of brand’s concept to product formulation
- Stay current on developments in the skin care cosmetic field and on latest clean alternatives of functional ingredients
- Experience with regulatory requirements in cosmetic formulations, including but not limited to, Europe and South Korea regulations
- Knowledge in formula scale up and ability to troubleshoot production issues with QC Department
- Perform stability testing and interpret results
- Interpret feedback from sample testers to improve upon formulations
- Integrate new active ingredients in various types of skin care formulations.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment, conduct and contribute to lab procedures and analysis methods.
- Collaborate with products marketing and planning team for designing and optimizing future product lines.
- Participate and contribute to the intellectual property of the company, including the filing of patents when applicable.
- MSc in Chemistry or related discipline
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in cosmetics formulations research and development
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in personal care and skin care industry
- Proven problem solving and analytical skills
- Deep understanding of functional ingredients and clean alternatives
- Deep understanding of cosmetics regulations of Europe and South Korea specifically
- Previous appreciated experience: L’Oreal, Estee Lauder, Jafra, Seed beauty, Arbonne, Murad, Alastin, Olehenriksen, Pixi, Hourglass Cosmetics, Milani Cosmetics, NuFace, Noble Panacea, Dr. Barbara Sturm,
- Previous appreciated titles: Product Development Manager, Formulation Manager, Formulation Scientist