Our client for this VP of Finance opportunity is a rapidly growing startup with funding well into the eight digits and in the smokeless tobacco alternative industry. They operate using a small team of executives further utilizing numerous partners and vendors.
The VP of Finance is responsible for owning the financial activities of the Company to ensure prudent rapid growth, a path to unit-level and company-wide profitability, operational efficiency and effective cash management. The VP of Finance role includes deep analysis of data to advise the company’s executives using all relevant financial and operational information to make strategic decisions about the Company’s future. With a hands-on approach to all aspects of an organization’s finances, the VP of Finance must ensure that the company complies with tax laws (including sales and use tax, excise tax, and corporate tax) and regulations specific to the Company’s industry.
The Company is looking for a real “business partner” type of finance executive, not an accountant filling up reports, but a member of the executive team able to sit down with sales, marketing, manufacturing, fulfillment and accounting in order to challenge them and help them find opportunities for improvement. Also, since it is still a rather small company, the Company needs a finance executive who can roll up their sleeves and work with limited support to help create process and tools in order to improve overall efficiency and profitability.
The VP of Finance will interface regularly with the Company’s stakeholders to produce accurate, timely, meaningful analysis that will help drive the Company’s strategic planning and growth plans.
- FP&A: Manage financial statements. Build and improve dashboards to monitors goals, progress and KPIs.
- Accounting: Supervise a 3rd-party bookkeeping and accounting partner. And use their data to produce reports and dashboards
- Production: Monitor production KPIs, working capital and CAPEX
- Fulfillment & logistics: Monitor capital efficiency by product level
- Taxes: Supervise tax filings with accounting partners
- Business Licensure: Make sure the company carries the proper licenses in each jurisdiction.
- Marketing: Assist VPs of Marketing and Sales with their budgets and monitor ROI
- Retail & Wholesale: Support and monitor order processing, invoicing, inventory, ROI
- Insurance: Ensure the company carries all the necessary insurances
- Banking & Leasing: Manage cash, equipment leases and lines of credits with banking partners.
- HR: Supervise the 3rd-party HR and benefits providers
- Proactive finance executive
- Impeccable work ethics
- Good communication skills
- Very strong Excel skills
- Previous appreciated experience: CPG/ Consumer Goods, ideally in a regulated category such as Tobacco, Cannabis, Wine or Spirits.
- Must have experience with cost accounting, financial forecasting, and “ownership” at the center of the Company’s operations, using numbers to understand the Company intimately
- Previous appreciated titles: VP of Finance, Director of Finance, CFO, Chief Financial Officer