Job Status: Open
Job Title: Growth & Retention Marketing Specialist (Smokeless Tobacco Alternative)
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Alternate location: Would ideally be in the LA area, but remote would be OK for exceptional candidates.
Industry: Smokeless Tobacco Alternative
Channel: Online Sales, E-Commerce
Reporting to: CMO
Direct Reports: none
Salary Range: (USD) $100k to $130k in base salary (depending on experience and commission structure) + bonus + long term incentive
Visa: Must have a valid work authorization
Job ID: CW23-044
Remote work policy: Hybrid (local: 2-3 days/wk)
Job Seniority: Middle Management Level
Company size: Small (1-50 ppl)
Company Ownership: Private Equity backed
Function(s): Digital Marketing,
Our client for this Growth & Retention Marketing Specialist opportunity is a rapidly growing startup with funding well into the eight digits and in the smokeless tobacco alternative industry. Their pharmaceutical grade tobacco alternative products have already proven to be very successful. They operate using a small team of executives further utilizing numerous partners and vendors. This is a work hard play hard type of environment. Not your typical suit and tie office…
The Growth & Retention Marketing Manager will be an integral team member at Black Buffalo, enjoying significant autonomy to establish best email & SMS marketing practices within our organization. You can enjoy working mostly remotely in the Los Angeles area, but we also get together a few times a month at Black Buffalo West – our office space in Santa Monica, CA.
This position will have substantial responsibility in ensuring that the Company’s marketing team is equipped with the requisite revenue generation tools, analytics, content, data, and flows strategy to both accelerate and manage rapid growth, entrance into new channels via tools (SMS, social, etc.), and operational streamlining. This role is NOT for people who need hand-holding or significant guidance – we’re hiring someone who’s better, smarter and faster than we are in growth and retention marketing. We take direction from you, not the other way around.
We are looking for a Growth & Retention Marketing Specialist that is data driven and obsessed with retention. An ideal candidate would have experience developing, monitoring and analyzing email campaigns with Klaviyo to further assist the CMO of the organization. Their email marketing processes has been established, however the continued development and enhancement of these processes is encouraged to ensure that their retention capabilities are in alignment with strategic growth.
A previous experience in a regulated category would be a strong asset (tobacco, cannabis, CBD, spirits, beer, coffee…). And interests in Sports (baseball, football, golf, hockey, MMA, Nascar), in Military and in Music would be great!
If you have some creative and graphic design skills, they are welcome too.
- Drive measurable revenue and ROI on marketing activities within the growth and retention spaces
- Manage day-to-day and month-to-month email marketing activities in Klaviyo and SMSBump
- Work closely with design and marketing team on content strategy and flows optimization
- Set forth and manage email & SMS campaign calendar, email & SMS flows strategy, rewards integration, & more
- Data-driven decisions with an acute focus on customer growth, loyalty, and retention
- Ideally design all aspects of content and flows within Canva, Klaviyo, PhotoShop, or similar
- Maintain brand aesthetic and voice consistently across all forms of communications
- Understand FDA regulation do’s and don’t’s with respect to marketing language
- Navigate email and social media landscape understanding third party ad policies and restrictions
- Proactive and strong position on company’s goals as they relate to customer growth/retention
- Help build, curate, design, and execute subscription service via Smartrr or similar program
- Detailed data analysis on key marketing metrics (OR, CTR, CTP, flow performance, customer data)
- Best practices for email marketing revenue growth with sensitivity to product discounting
- Use Shopify data to inform email marketing decisions and meet/exceed revenue goals
- Build upon and complement brand tone and voice to ensure cohesiveness across content
- Read historical data patterns to make decisions about future email marketing strategies
- Segment and hyper-segment lists to address multiple tiers of customers, increase retention
- Lend your advice and experience to other areas of the marketing organization including, but not limited to – website copy/design to match email tone, revenue channel synergies, email/SMS marketing (i.e. sweepstakes, affiliates, influencers), and whatever else you bring to the table!
- July 2023 Growth & Retention Marketing Manager
- Demonstrated ability to drive revenue and actual ROI through growth and retention efforts in an omnichannel business
- Several years of experience in email marketing via Klaviyo & SMS marketing via SMSBump for an omnichannel brand
- Proven track record of personally managing both email & SMS flows as well as email & SMS campaigns concurrently … this role is not for email marketers only comfortable with designing & deploying a handful of emails per month.
- Extensive design or direction capabilities – high-res imagery, shading, vector, transparency, etc. Must be able to accept constructive criticism on creative work.
- Getting in the weeds should be nothing to you. From last-minute campaign idea execution to longer-term email marketing strategies … the key is fast, yet sustainable growth
- Intimate working knowledge of consumer-packaged goods, including both online (e-commerce) and offline (physical distribution) channels to create a cohesive customer experience
- High level of comfort within a startup environment, including fast-paced decision-making, proactive approach, and a “whatever it takes” mentality to getting things done
- Ability to work collaboratively in a remote environment with minimal supervision. You don’t wait to be told what to do.
- Extremely comfortable with data analysis (not just copy + pasting numbers from one dashboard to a spreadsheet), and synthesizing information into actionable insights
- Experience with a regulated brand in an industry such as alcohol, CBD, and/or nicotine
- Appreciated previous titles: Email Marketing Specialist, Email Marketing Expert, Loyalty Manager, Loyalty Manager, Retention Manager, Digital Marketing Manager
- Appreciated previous experience: CPG, Consumer Goods, FMCG, Beauty / Cosmetics, Personal Care, Tobacco, Wine & Spirits, Sporting Goods…