Our client for this Merchandise Manager opportunity is a large wine & spirits group with several wineries and distilleries in Napa and beyond.
Reporting to the Director of Client Services and working closely with Site Managers of wineries and distilleries, the Merchandise Manager will drive Merchandise Strategy and execution across our seven Branded Hospitality Centers, delivering profitable growth while delivering a Retail experience that aligns with each brands identity. This includes Concept, Sourcing, Visual Merchandising, Sales Analysis, and Inventory management in partnership with the onsite teams. This person will have excellent communication skills and ability to manage relationships with various stakeholders throughout the organization. This person will be highly motivated to create a compelling shopping experience in each site that also meets the Brands financial objectives. This person should have familiarity with Wine Accessories, Home Goods, and Stemware, and be able to think creatively about gifting opportunities that will delight the Visitor Center Visitors. The person will also work with third party providers and our Internal Digital Commerce team who manage websites where this merchandise is sold.
We are looking for professionals with a first successful experience as a buyer or merchandiser, regardless of the category, and a strong interest (even just personal) in wine.
- Develops and implements seasonal Merchandise Concepts and Strategies for each brand. Utilizes Brand Visual guides as provided by Brand Management to assure conceptual alignment with overall brand identity.
- Maintains healthy working relationship with Brand Management and Hospitality Managers to assure alignment on merchandise concepts before they are sourced.
- Works with Hospitality Managers and Hospitality Finance to align on financial objectives for Merchandise businesses across the different properties.
- Engages existing Vendors and finds additional vendors to source goods against merchandise concepts that deliver Financial Objectives.
- Leads Merchandise business analysis efforts. Continuously monitors sales and inventory using internal and external data resources to identify issues and opportunities, and identify items to chase, ideas to grow, and ideas to phase out.
- Owns the Visual execution of Merchandise at each of the properties. Partners and trains onsite management and makes Monthly or Quarterly visits dependent on the size of its business, strength of onsite staff, and physical location.
- Works with Finance to develop and share useful reporting tools that can be shared with Onsite Management.
- Coordinates with Hospitality to assure that items that are used in service are branded when appropriate and sold on site. Make recommendations for changes to items used in service where it may make sense for the business.
- Manages relationships with 3rd party Merchandise licensees for the three Distilleries to assure products being sold online are in line with the brand identity and meet financial objectives.
- Leads day-to-day purchasing activities and tracks inbound inventory. Manages PO creation and invoice processes. Ensures that dollars are allocated and spent in an efficient and effective manner.
- Oversees Inventory Management and in partnership with our site managers is accountable for the accuracy of the data within our inventory management systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required.
- 3 to 5 years as a Buyer/Merchandiser preferably in home goods or accessories. Experience in Sales, Hospitality, or Retail Management. Demonstrates a genuine desire and passion for Fine Wine, Spirits, and luxury branding, and to think strategically and creatively, with a strong financial orientation and analytical / problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and strong project management skills.
- Is motivated to work on site in the shops and shows pride in flawless execution.
- Proficient PC skills (Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and experience with Shopify a plus.
- Strong analytical skills with a demonstrated aptitude to utilize trend analysis, syndicated and customized research and other sources to turn data and information into actionable insights.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Strong writing, presentation, and verbal communication skills; demonstrates ability to communicate and sell the strategies and plans at all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to interact successfully with senior management, field personnel, vendors, and cross functional teams, fostering open, honest, and direct communication.
- Ability to drive creative work in the context of brand identity.
- Experience managing large a number of sku’s, numerous vender partners, and internal relationships.
- Ability to manage expectations of supervisor, and other functional groups
- Appreciated previous experience: Moet Hennessy, Remy Cointreau, Treasury Wine Estates, Constellation Brands, Jackson Family Wines, E.J. Gallo… Or from home goods companies such as William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware….