Job Status: CLOSED
Job Title: VP of Business Development & Global Strategic Partnerships (Pre-owned Luxury Goods)
Location: Remote (USA)
Industry: Pre-Owned Luxury Goods (Watches & Handbags)
Channel: Department Stores, Brands, Travel Retail Operators
Reporting to: Founders
Direct Reports: None
Traveling: Traveling as needed across the US and the world
Languages: English only
Salary Range: () High base salary to be negotiated + attractive profit sharing
Job ID: CW23-010
Remote work policy: Full remote
Job Seniority: Executive Level
Company size: Small (1-50 ppl)
Company Ownership: Privately Owned
Our client is a data and technology company revolutionizing the pre-owned luxury goods industry. The company is being built like a start-up on steroids, owned and controlled by its founders. In one-year they built the world’s most effective procurement solution for pre-owned luxury goods, with total inventory of $4.5 Billion in Timepieces and $3.6 Billion in Handbags. They provides clients with proprietary data, technology, turn key procurement, global logistics, retail inventory insight. The company has acted in a stealth mode while it’s tested its product and service value proposition. Clients in its first year include: Richemont, Watchfinder, Hodinkee, Carnival Cruise Lines, The Real Real, and Bucherer.
The VP of Business Development will help the company scale their business by identifying and pursuing new business opportunities with key partners, either with retailers such as department stores or travel retail operators to open pre-owned luxury goods stores, or with brands to allow them to control the full life-cycle of their product by adding a certified pre-owned department to their distribution, similarly to what automakers are doing. Examples of targeted partnerships:
- Department Stores (Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale’s…)
- Travel Retail operators (Dufry, DFS, The Hudson Group, Heinemann Gebr, Starboard…)
- Brands (Rolex, Patek Philip, Audemars Piguet, Breitling…)
- Luxury goods groups (LVMH, Richemont, Kering, The Swatch Group…)
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of success in business development via strategic partnerships, as well as a deep understanding of the luxury goods industry. He/she has a strong network of contacts at the C-level of department stores, travel retail operators and/or luxury brands, and has the experience in educating and convincing clients about a new business model, and the benefits of adopting it. This opportunity can either be a full time job or a part-time consulting mission.
To summarize: An innovator who has succeeded at the highest level for large organizations and is looking to apply their skill and relationships to a smaller more nimble firm to create meaningful value.
WHAT WE DO NOT NEED
- We don’t need a watch expert or a handbag expert
- We don’t need a VP of Sales with only contacts at the buyers level.
- We don’t even need an expert in pre-owned luxury goods.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive business development strategy that aligns with the company’s growth objectives.
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities with key partners in the department stores, travel retail operators, luxury brands, and groups of brands categories.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key decision-makers at target organizations, understanding their needs and challenges, and providing effective solutions.
- Educate clients about the benefits of our turn-key solution and how it can enhance their brand and bottom line.
- Negotiate and close deals with large organizations, ensuring that all parties are satisfied with the terms.
- Work collaboratively with internal teams, including operations, marketing, and customer service, to ensure the successful implementation of new partnerships.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in business development, sales, or strategic partnerships, preferably in the luxury goods industry.
- Strong network of contacts at the C-level of department stores, travel retail operators, luxury brands, or groups of brands.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to educate clients about a new business model and its benefits.
- Negotiation skills and ability to close deals with large organizations.
- Strategic thinking and ability to identify new business opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or related field. MBA is a plus.