Our client for this opportunity is a large international luxury watch retailer developing their business across the US from their Fort Lauderdale, FL office.
The marketing function is still in the process of developing to meet the needs of the retail group. It has had to be nimble and entrepreneurial to maximize the presence and awareness of the group in the US ahead of building more formalized structure and process, but it prides itself on innovating in the market to create stand out. We are seeking a strong leader to continue to develop the marketing function and support the commercial leadership of the company to achieve aggressive expansion plans.
The successful candidate will lead the US marketing team, reporting to the Executive Vice President, US. The current structure includes two employees managing marketing for one of the retail brands of the group in Fort Lauderdale and one employee in New York managing the marketing of a second retail brand. The team own the marketing plans as they relate to store events, promotions, new product launches, publications and key website features. Social media is managed through a NY agency, and from the European global headquarters. Challenges identified and that still need to be addressed are the in the fields of CRM and client management, digital advertising and visual merchandising. They are a rapidly growing retailer in the US with an aim to get to and build upon a market leadership position. The role requires someone who is highly driven and innovative in their thinking. Campaign and event ideas that simply follow the same thinking as other retailers will not be successful in this environment. Partnerships need to be created at a high level with media partners and organizations that can bring high potential clients to our stores but done in a way that does not require high financial budgets. A key aspect of the role is to maintain strong relationships with partner brand senior management and marketing teams The candidate will also be a key strategic partner to the US leadership team, offering insight to support expansion plans and creating marketing strategies to best develop business through the broad portfolio of stores.
The US operation is still in early stages of its development. The candidate will need to be confident in an environment that has not yet reached maturity. Change is a key part of the business plan and the person filling the role will need to be comfortable in identifying future needs and opportunities, will be an outstanding communicator to retain the support of colleagues and business partners, and be able to support and motivate a tight marketing team. The role will not support someone who only thrives in a corporate culture and that who does not appreciate direct accountability and responsibility. The candidate must enjoy managing change, creating outstanding marketing plans but also be prepared to be hands on in the details of plans and execution. The role best suits a high potential candidate that has previously managed a small team but has the potential to break out from a more constrained environment to become an autonomous leader in a fast growing, high profile, luxury, omnichannel business.
- Excellent communicator, can quickly create consensus behind strategies and plans
- Project management, able to handle multiple projects and situations, remains nimble but mot losing focus on delivering the plan and achieving goals
- Experience in creating campaigns utilizing the full 360 of marketing communication channels, including social and digital media
- Experience in managing press / social relationships to build short term awareness of projects and long term corporate and reputational coverage
- Building partnership with media and business connections to create campaigns and initiatives to bring in HNWIs
- 10-15 years retail/brand marketing experience, preferably some of which has been spent in luxury.
- Omnichannel retail, preferably in a luxury market
- Management of a small team
- Developed and delivered campaigns and promotions
- Management of external creative and PR agencies
- Passionate and enthusiastic to achieve goals
- Strong team ethic
- Can handle pressure and remain focused
- Confident to know when to push back, but not arrogant
- Appreciated previous experience: Bloomingdale’s, Celine, Chanel, Coach, Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, Ermenegildo Zegna, Fendi, Ferragamo, Giorgio Armani, Gucci, Hermes, Intermix, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Neiman Marcus, Prada, Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth Avenue, Tory Burch, Yves Saint Laurent
- Appreciated previous titles: Marketing Director, VP of Marketing, Head of Marketing, VP of Retail Marketing