Job Status: CLOSED
Job Title: Head of Watch Department (Auction House)
Location: New York City
Industry: Pre-Owned Luxury Watches & Auctions
Market: North America
Channel: Direct sales and Auctions
Reporting to: Managing Director of Luxury Goods
Traveling: Traveling as needed across the US
Languages: English only
Visa: No sponsorship possible. Must have a valid work authorization.
Job ID: CW23-004
Job Seniority: Executive Level
Company size: Large (1 000-50 000 ppl)
Our client for this opportunity is an established international Auction House with several luxury goods department including one for luxury watches.
Leads and sets strategic direction for Watches focused on sales in the U.S. With support and collaboration of senior management, responsible for delivering significant business results with particular emphasis on expertise, client relationships, strong commercial market dominance and profitability. This position encompasses business travel. This is a people management and supervisory position. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
We are looking for someone who has a passion for luxury watches and a certain ability to provide appraisals on the spot (even though the department has several experts doing exactly that). The ideal types of profile for the role would be:
- watch trader with management skills interested in growing a career a corporate environment
- or a brand executive with a passion for old watches
- or a former watch trader who has already transitioned to a corporate job regardless of the category, but would welcome the opportunity of combining the 2.
- Act as primary business-getter for the department, with a focus on high-value property.
- Develop long term business strategy for the American market and supervise departmental business getting and the development of long term client relationships.
- Focus on major appraisals on behalf of private collectors, estates, and institutional clients.
- Assist and advise on business getting proposals, taking part in client discussions and presentations to win business, while keeping financial terms and profitability in mind.
- Provide leadership and support for all activities to attract buyers from existing and new clients. Work with major buyers of high-value property and pre-selling marketing efforts.
- Participate in Telephone Bidding with clients during the auction.
- Advise and mentor Specialists on watch expertise, pricing, cataloguing, research, client relationships and standards of client service; complete performance management of specialists in department.
- Lead departmental hilling sessions (meetings to determine value, condition, and marketability of property).
- Work with divisional Managing Director to manage and review administrative staff, and to develop budgets, control costs and maintain profitability.
- Participate in relevant public relations activities including interviews, writing articles and lecturing as appropriate.
- Maintain effective communication and collaboration with senior colleagues in other departments and locations.
- Work with marketing department to develop marketing strategy for the department.
- Other duties as determined with senior management.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 10 years paid work experience in the Watch industry, with in depth understanding of current watch market and luxury buying trends.
- In-depth knowledge of domestic and international client relationship management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in both historic and contemporary watches, as well as the secondary market.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team, and work cross-functionally in a large organization
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including written and spoken communication.
- Superior client service and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize in a deadline driven environment.
- Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail.
- Knowledge Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Appreciated previous experience: Stadium Goods, FarFetch, matchesfashion, Tradesy, RealReal, Fashionphile, Vestiaire Collective, Poshmark, StockX, Ebay, Gilt, Fight Club, GOAT, Sotheby’s, Christie’s, Heritage Auctions, Rebag, Doyle Auctioneers, Barnebys, Bonhams, pre-owned luxury goods companies in general