|Job Title||State Manager – DC, Maryland, Delaware – Wines & Spirits (Cognac)|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Title: State Manager
Direct Reports: none
Industry: Wines & Spirits (Cognac)
Location: Washington, DC (Home based)
Compensation: $60k + Bonus
Our client for this career opportunity is the US subsidiary of a very famous French Wines & Spirits group primarily involved in Cognac.
The objective is this State Manager role is to cover every aspect of the business fro the group’s portfolio on the assigned state(s): From managing the distribution, visiting points of sales to being a brand Ambassador the events. We need someone very PR oriented with great people skills!
The ideal profile for this job is a true sales person, with an previous knowledge or experience of the wine & spirits industry (or the On Premise channel such as Bars, Restaurants, Hotels, Clubs…). Ideally someone with 3 to 5 years of professional experience, able to travel all around the DC, Maryland and Delaware States.
Manage business in the assigned market through direct contact with distributor management; establish criteria and plans to achieve the required goals, including shipment and depletion goals for assigned market; lead, direct and supervise the development of established programming, pricing, and incentives, in addition to the execution of distributor and market plans in all trade channels; assist the US General Manager in the development and execution of market plans; develop business opportunities, identified by the measurement of depletions and customer sales performance, through direct calls and tracking of sales in key on-premise and off-premise accounts; and establish and maintain key relationships at all assigned distributors and key accounts in the assigned market.
- Review sales, shipment and depletion performance with an emphasis on review of key account performance and report depletions and shipments on required forms.
- Discuss ongoing programs and performance opportunities with upper management and distributors.
- Establish and maintain key account relationships with trade channel leaders through dialogue, direct calls and street calls / ride-withs.
- Monitor market trends and competitive information; communicate with distributor supervisors on market conditions.
- Review available local market reporting to monitor market trends and sales performance through retail contact.
- Communicate regularly via email, telephone, etc., processing communications regarding current and future requirements.
- Maintain knowledge of program plans and execution; review and discuss performance on in-house tracking at distributor.
- Monitor and develop activity based on opportunities that are proactive and reactive to market conditions; review by size and channel reports, key account chain performance, industry data, etc.
- Execute plans and required follow-up as needed on special events, assigned projects, and future planning needs, i.e., POS, program follow-up, national accounts/Chains, local activity reporting, price surveys, and follow-up correspondence.
- Plan and execute special events and programs requiring detailed execution (New brand intro, line extensions).
- Perform administrative duties such as planning travel, reservations, drive times, call backs, material pickups, etc.
- Review and process administrative items, such as bills, chargebacks, samples, budgets and forecasts, etc.; track all spending.
- Recap budgeting on available balances with distributor before review with upper management
- Gather monthly price and performance surveys and reporting required from multiple distributors.
- Follow up on orders, and any new sizes, types, and packaging of items sold to retail.
- Perform rudimentary inventories and required physical work at events, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Requires degree in Sales/Marketing or other relevant line of study
- Requires two to four years of experience as Sales Manager within the hospitality or wholesale liquor / beverage industry,
- Ability to conduct oneself in an ethical and professional manner.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once and to prioritize appropriately,
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written,
- Sales and negotiation skills,
- Excellent time management,
- Strong presentation skills,
- Appreciated previous experience: Alexander James, Bacardi, Bavaria, Camus, Corona, Heineken, Budweiser, Miller lite, Beam, Belvedere, Camus, Cape Mentelle, Chandon, Chateau d’Yquem, Cloudy Bay Vineyards, Coors, Diageo, Dom Perignon, Domecq, Glenmorangie, Hennessy, Krug, LVMH, Mercier, Moet, MountAdam, Pernod, Pernod Ricard, Remy Cointreau, Remy Martin, Ruinart, Southern Wine & Spirits, Veuve Clicquot, William Grant & Sons…
- Appreciated previous titles: State Manager, District Manager, Regional Sales Manager, On Premise Manager, Brand Ambassador
- $55k/60k base salary + bonus + benefits + expenses