Our client for this Senior VP of Sales position is an international leading group in wine & spirits.
We are looking for a strategic sales leader with very strong analytical and financial skills. The right candidate must have experience in managing the important West Coast accounts. The position is home based, but has to be in California!
We are seeking a business leader with an established record of brand building performance to deliver on the company’s business goals, sales execution standards and brand building initiatives. The successful incumbent will provide the company and distributor leadership for the business in the region and charismatically drive the growth and brand equity of the Company’s brands.
Sales Planning and Process, Business Strategy
- Full P&L responsibility for the specified territory
- Develop and achieve region sales performance targets
- Develop annual Collaborative Business Plans, Periodic Tactical Business Plans, and appropriately partner with Fine Wine Sales Managers on the management of Collaborative Business Plans.
- Communicate and implement the brand strategy, standards and prioritization with the Sales Team; including appropriate focus on prestige on premise business
- Set expectations with key distributor personnel and monitor distribution, shipments, and other sales activities, conducting weekly progress checks of distributor performance.
- Manage fine wine allocations at a state, distributor and account level to leverage best use, for optimum benefit to gross margin and brand equity.
- Develop pricing strategies through review of (CPRs) competitive pricing reports
- Negotiate, design and execute regional promotional plan
- Effective communication with the company’s departments including channel, finance, marketing and S&OP
- Manage product launches: pricing, inventory, execution strategy, tracking, and measurement
- Ensure CORE standards and guidelines are followed
Market Activation and Key Prestige Regional Account Management
- Provide in-market leadership to the Company and distributor sales teams to achieve volume and GP goals and build brand equity in the market
- Foster and leverage strong personal relationships with all levels of distributor and account management including ownership
- Directly manage key prestige regional accounts; developing and cultivating strong relationships and leveraging these relationships to explore business opportunities
- Provide an unrivaled quality of service to ensure our brands are front of mind with the accounts.
- Leverage account relationships and brand building activities to foster trade advocacy.
- Ensure best-in-class consumer experiences at point of sale that bring to life the uniqueness of our brands, leveraging wine list features, events and staff training.
- Create ownable occasions for our brands in the market (gifting, celebration etc.)
- Ensure price integrity and execution standards are being upheld by the company’s staff
- Leverage tools and resources for optimum benefit, e.g. trade events for winemaker visits
Financial Administrations and Analysis
- Deliver annual sales plan and manage the budget
- Provide market intelligence to Sales Operations Manager (SOM) to perform break-even analysis on programming (as applicable)
- Plan and oversight of non price budget. Negotiate budget with distributor and manage through FSMs
- Provide S&OP input, forecasting and product allocation
- Review/manage distributor spending/banks and A/R reconciliation, in compliance to specific contractual agreements and company guidelines
- Review and approve SIP requests and non-price initiatives
- Communicate competitive market changes and trends to appropriate functions (Marketing, PR, Strategic Insights, National Accounts)
People Management and Development
- Source, hire, coach, mentor and develop Fine Wine Sales Managers of Account Managers
- Set performance direction and ensure continued open dialogue concerning performance
- Network and identify outside talent for potential opportunities within the company
- Lead Talent Reviews and Succession Planning
- Participate in National Sales Meeting and other development initiatives, including leadership training, wine education, systems training, etc
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Deep understanding of how to build Total Beverage + fine wine brands in the marketplace
- 7-10 years of fine wine sales, marketing experience or general management experience
- Effective communication and team building skills required
- Ability to influence and persuade others in order to manage business effectively
- Proven track record in team performance
- Effective understanding of budgeting creation and management
- Strong analytical and analysis skills required
- Strong computer skills necessary
- Previous appreciated experience: Diageo, Pernod Ricard, Moet Hennessy, Remy Cointreau, Bacardi, E&J Gallo, Constellation Brands, Trinchero Family Estates, Treasury Wine Estate, The Wine Group, Bronco Wine Company, Accolade Wines.
- Previous appreciated titles: VP of Sales, General Manager, General Sales Manager, Senior Vice President of Sales