Our client for this VP Business Development is a leading food & beverage group based in Atlanta, GA.
The VP, Business Development for Global Channels provides strategic leadership for the Channels Business Development team to include creation and execution of long-range goals, strategies, and plans to support Channels’ over all business plan and strategic direction. This position provides direct leadership to a team of business development professionals across Foodservice and Consumer Package Goods (CPG) channels, as well as partnering to align priorities of cross-functional support staff to include marketing, culinary and client services. This role directs and guides the Channels Business Development Team to retain and grow Channels’ partner portfolio, while delivering against financial targets.
Job Description Strategic Relationship Management and Solution Selling
Channel Management and Execution
- Serves as the lead champion and expert on optimizing business development solutions to best enhance market penetration and value.
- Cultivates and leverages strategic relationships with existing and potential business development partners to develop mutually beneficial licensing and product solutions.
- Leads sales team’s targeting, generation of leads, value based presentations, and solution selling to existing and potential partnerships.
- Oversees the coordination of sourcing and partnership agreements, terms and pricing negations to create win-win solutions that enhance brands’ value, market penetration and awareness.
- Collaborates with Legal and other internal teams to quickly assess and mitigate risks and maximize return of investment to the organization.
- Establishes external relationships, and maintains memberships and leadership roles in professional organizations associated with relevant industry organizations to gather competitive intelligence on effectively licensing products.
Builds and Directs a High Functioning Team
- Provides direction to the Business Development team to assure effective planning, resourcing, and prioritization to meet objectives.
- Drives the execution of strategies, sales development, relationship management, account management and best practices implementation to effectively sell group brands’ intellectual property into foodservice channel to strengthen group brands overall market penetration and value.
- Oversees the development, implementation, and management of policies, procedures, practices, and processes to enhance the overall selling approach, cost effectiveness, resources, group performance and brand value and penetration.
- Participates in Channels’ on-going sales funnel and assessment of opportunities to align efforts, priorities and resources across the Channels’ organization.
- Reviews financial and marketing data and analytics of Business Development team to make adjustments to achieve objectives and gain insights to make recommendations on future innovations and efforts.
- Performs competitiveness analysis of Business Development team efforts against relevant, competitive, industry norms, and markets to assess performance, project volumes/opportunities establish best practices, and enhance team’s efficiency and effectiveness.
Strategy Development and Alignment
- Holds team accountable for conducting business in a legal and ethical manner while complying with policies, laws, and regulations related to business and employment.
- Attracts, retains, and develops highly effective professionals and support staff.
- Drives the establishment of performance goals and provides on-going feedback, coaching, and development to enhance the team’s performance and capability, to facilitate open communication, and to encourage continuous performance improvement.
- Identifies individual and team skill gaps, developmental areas, and opportunities (e.g., training, special assignments, projects, etc.) to advance individual and team capability.
- Oversees people processes and programs across the team to ensure talent for current and future needs by providing functional and technical leadership.
- Recognizes initiative, innovation, and work well done to create an environment of excellence.
Project Management and On-going Account Management
- Serves on the Channel’s senior leadership team and participates in the development of Channel’s plans and strategic objectives.
- Translates long range Channels’ plan into specific objectives and priorities for the Foodservice, CPG, and manufacturing partnership teams.
- Develops annual business development (sales) objectives, sales plans and targets to secure value enhancing licensed partnerships that align and drive the overall value of group brands’ portfolio of businesses.
- Champions group brands with internal and external stakeholders (Franchisees, Investors, Partners and internal team), builds trust and advances understanding and support for the added value created by strategically licensing and partnering in multiple marketing channels.
- Oversees management of critical projects to ensure the timely completion within the established scope, cost, and quality standards.
- Directs the day-to-day account management of existing partnerships to ensure proper account set up, on-going maintenance of the Customer Relationship Management system, and quality sales events and promotions.
- Oversees partner and end consumer issues management to ensure satisfactory resolution and to identify trends to prevent future issues.
- Establishes an on-going process to review and audit partner’s sales numbers submissions to ensure accuracy.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or a related field required
- Master’s Degree preferred
- 14+ Food/Package Goods industry related experience required
- 8+ years managerial experience required
- Expertise in developing a world class value based solution selling team within foodservice/CPG channels preferred
- Strategic and fast-paced thinker who quickly establishes and maintains credibility and trust.
- Ability to establish, implement, and communicate strategies that align with business needs and objectives to gain buy-in from stakeholders.
- Ability to build, manage, develop, and retain a high performing team.
- Negotiation skills with ability influence others to identify and create “win-win” partnerships.
- Ability to quickly identify and articulate a brand’s value.
- Ability to effectively balance strategic focus and tactical operations.
- Ability to lead an organization successfully through change while retaining key performers.
- Strategic decision making with strong business and financial acumen and analysis.
- Possesses a high degree of drive and tenacity with a proven track record of achieving results. • Proficiency in Microsoft computer skills (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Ability to travel 50-75% of the time.
- Appreciated previous experience: Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Kraft Mondelez, Nestle, Mars, Cargill, Dannon Danone, Unilever, Kellogg’s
- Appreciated previous titles: VP of Business Development, VP Sales, VP Licensing